About Us

History

"We made an obligation to our customers over 125 years ago that we were going to be here, and time has proven us true to our word. Our focus has always been to make a positive difference in the lives of our community, and that's what we continue to do. It's the quality of service, advice and experience that sets us apart. Through the hard times and the good times, we're here when it counts."


 

David Gohn
Chairman & CEO
West Plains Bank and Trust

 

Three important milestones made 1883 a watershed year for the greater West Plains area. One was the arrival of the railroad, establishing a much-needed lifeline for goods and transportation. Another was construction of a new brick courthouse, signaling a new era of progress for Howell County. And third, West Plains Bank opened its doors to serve local financial needs.

With a state charter mandating community service and $15,000 in capital provided by a group of local investors, West Plains Bank became the town’s first state-regulated financial institution when it commenced business in April 1883. B.J. Olden was the new bank’s first chairman of the board, and R.S. "Uncle Bob" Hogan the first of six presidents, followed by Ray Holt, Dr. R.E. Hogan, Carrick Davidson, Dan Gohn and current president David Gohn, who succeeded his father in 1981.

In 1969, West Plains Bank became the first bank within a 100-mile radius to acquire computer services. The early ‘70s saw the opening of West Plains Bank Motor Bank (now Broadway Branch), our first drive-thru facility. By the time we celebrated our 100-year anniversary in 1983, total assets had grown to more than $53 Million and three branches.

As our financial base continued to grow, so did our services. In 1993, our first location outside West Plains opened when Liberty Branch was established to serve the banking needs of the Mountain View area, and our name change to West Plains Bank and Trust Company in 1998 made trust services available to our customers through partnership with Trust Company of the Ozarks. Now with five locations complemented by seven local ATMs, West Plains Bank and Trust Company continues to lead the way with complete and continually up-graded Internet banking services and recently implemented remote branch capture at our outlying branches to further insure accuracy and speed of fulfillment for all our customers banking transactions.

Over the years, there have been numerous offers to sell or merge, but the bank has chosen to remain locally owned and managed. From those modest beginnings more than 130 years ago, total assets have grown to more than $320 Million, but the spirit of home-owned independence that guided our founders remains unchanged. We’re here when you need us.

 

Scenes From the Past

Click the below links for past ads and articles about West Plains Bank and Trust Company!

All documents listed below have been used with the permission of the original publisher, if known.
Documents are in "pdf" format.  Download time will depend on the speed of your internet connection.

1900s - Unidentified men in West Plains Bank

1936 - Print Ad - "Eighteen - Eighty - Three, A Memorial Year"

1936 - Print Ad - "Ye Olden Times in Howell County"

1971 - Print Ad - The new West Plains Motor Bank

Mid 1970s - Print Ad - "The Bank Across the Street"

Late 1970s - Print Ad - 1915 Statement of Condition

1977 - Construction of the new (current) Main facility

1982 - Print Ad - Back cover of the November/December edition of the West Plains Gazette

1983 - 100 Year Anniversay article, printed in West Plains Daily Quill, June 15, 1983

1983 - Editorial by Frank L. Martin III, printed in West Plains Daily Quill, June 15 1983

1987 - Print Article for Bank Promotions

1990 - ABA Banking Journal artilcle on S. David Gohn, February, 1990

blank